Sunday, April 10, 2016

Dear First Love

Dear D.C.,

You were my first real love.  I remember when a neighbor brought you to our house because we already had cats and she knew we would be able to take care of you.  She said that your family moved away with your mom, but left you behind.  I pleaded with my mom to let me keep you.  I called you Princess Aurora.

Then, my grandmother came over for a birthday party and suggested that that wasn't an appropriate name for you.  It turns out you weren't a female cat, but a male cat.  So I named to D.C after another of my favorite movies, That Darn Cat with Hayley Mills.

You taught me so much about love.  You taught me that I could be somewhat cruel to you (I was a kid after all) but you would come back to me, proving that I'm worthy of love.  You always checked on me when I was crying, showing me how to take care of others when they were having a rough day.

You taught me consistency, as you were with me for easily 16 years.  You were very much my familiar.  You taught me so much, that I don't even know how to write it all.

I  miss you dearly, and I know you are always with me.

My heart to yours,

Chess

No comments:

Post a Comment