Thursday, October 31, 2013

Yoga gear- for women

*I want to place a small disclaimer here:  I am a woman, so everything I write comes from that perspective.  I do not claim to know the male perspective on anything.*




There has been quite a bit of talk about Lululemon after the transparent pants issue.  I have also seen some articles about how poorly people have been treated in their stores if they aren't a thin person.

I am going to put it out there: I am overweight, and I love to practice yoga.  So those articles hurt my heart.  I have been there.  I have been treated poorly simply because I don't fit into a size 6 or less.

So what do I wear for yoga?  I cannot justify spending $60-$150 on one item. So I tend to just look for cheaper sports gear.  For pants, I  buy the "yoga pants" from Kohl's (example).  For less than $20, you can get a decent pair of pants or capris that will last you a long time.

For shirts, because I sweat quite a bit and don't like being warm, I just wear a cami.  I get these from various places, including DEB (example) and Wet Seal.  They allow freedom of movement and don't keep me too hot.

Another issue with being slightly larger, is I have a large chest.  I wear a 34 F bra.  Yup, an F cup.  So by the time I get a sports bra big enough for the girls, it isn't tight enough under them to support them.  They start slipping out, and that's not good.  

I tried finding sports bras that work more like a regular bra, with a clasp somewhere.  One I found zipped up in the front.  I thought it was cute, and since it would clasp around me, it would be tight enough.  Unfortunately, as soon as I zipped it up and let go, it unzipped.  I tried zipping it up again, and it once again unzipped.  Needless to say, my husband loved that sports bra, but I didn't.

Now, I just wear my regular bra.  It's not easy finding any bras in my size, let alone sports bras.

So all in all, I probably spend about $30-$50 on a yoga outfit.  There are a lot of cute things that I see in emails and catalogs for yoga gear, but I really can't justify spending so much money.

Namaste,

Chess

No comments:

Post a Comment