Sunday, September 29, 2013

Carrying emotions and stress

Often in yoga class or workshops I hear people talk about where women carry their stress and emotions.  Typically, when you find an area of your body tighter than normal, it is due to carrying too much stress.  Something you are dealing with right now, is affecting how deep you can go in your poses or asana.  Going back to the things I hear in classes and workshops, women keep their pent up frustrations in their hips, which may affect the back as well.  Much like that anatomy song goes, the back and the hips are connected.

I find this to be very true in my life.  In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that life has been extremely stressful lately.  Yesterday in bellydance class, right before practice, we were stretching and I found it difficult to stretch my quads.  So after class, I took a little extra time to try out Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (pigeon-which I have heard it called a few variations).  Sure enough, I had a hard time in this one as well.

Now that I have my home studio back together, I plan to work on some hip openers each evening to try to work some of this out.  Pigeon is a great hip opener, as well as Cresent Lunge (or High lunge), and Low Lunge ( though I will typically keep my hands down near my front leg for balance).  These are all great for tight quads, like what I am experiencing.  There are many others that you can try, that I might expand upon at a later time.

I hope some of this helps you out.

Namaste my friends,

Chess

No comments:

Post a Comment