Sunday, September 22, 2013

A little background

I took my first yoga class in my undergrad program.  I had to have a minimum number of credit hours to remain at full time status, to keep my health insurance.  I started bellydancing a couple years before, and I figured yoga was as good a class as any to take to get my minimum in.  So for 3 credit hours, I tried yoga for one semester.

The type of class was Iyengar.  I don't really remember much about the class, other than I learned a lot about my body, what I could and couldn't do.  We had to remember the Sanskrit names of each pose, which I don't remember many of now.  I guess I should brush up on that now, huh?  I also remember that one of the instructions given to us was we couldn't do any inversions when we were experiencing our Menstrual Cycle.  That meant free time relaxing on the side of the room.

Years later, I took a bellydance workshop at a local studio.  It was actually a yoga studio, and I think they were trying something new by offering the bellydance workshop.  I was intrigued by the fact that the owners decided to offer classes for donation, instead of regular prices.  Eventually, I started going to classes there and fell in love with the Vinyasa style.  It builds strength and stamina, and I feel so fabulous when I leave class.

Namaste my friends,

Chess

No comments:

Post a Comment