Saturday, November 9, 2013

Yoga Pants and Thighs

In a few of my previous posts I have mentioned what type of Yoga gear I tend to buy, and the fact that I have thick thighs that make some poses difficult for me.  Recently, the founder of Lululemon, Chip Wilson, mentioned in an interview that some women's thighs cause their product to pill.

I am of two minds on this.  I have thick thighs, and they do rub together when I walk, sit, move, etc.  I have experienced pilling in many of my pants.  My jeans wear thin there, even, and cause me to buy more sooner than I would like.  It is a natural by product, often, when fabric rubs together like that.

However, Chris Wilson really could have done a better job explaining that.  Instead of making it sound like it is our fault that we have thick legs, he could have explained it much like I did.  He could have even applauded the women who experience that for being active in his line of clothing.  But instead, he makes women like me feel inferior because we don't have a Thigh Gap.  See this related article on that.

Now a lot of women, and some men, are boycotting the brand, much like Abercrombie after the statement made about the type of clientele they want in their stores.  I never shopped at Lululemon to begin with, as their prices were expensive and I had already heard stories about larger women being shunned in their stores.  Now the company has another black mark against their name, and I am willing to continue supporting other companies when it comes to Yoga clothing.

Namaste,

Chess

No comments:

Post a Comment