Thursday, November 14, 2013

A yogini living in a world full of jaded people

In a previous post I told you about my #dailygratitude tweets every night before I go to bed.  I feel like being grateful for what I do have is changing me.  I am less worried about keeping up with the rest of society, and I want to give back more.

Recently, I had a Pampered Chef party with friends and family.  Being a host, you get some free items.  There was only really one thing I went into this wanting, to make cooking a lot easier.  I found a couple items I liked, but decided to get some things for other people as well, since the holidays are coming up.  My consultant told me that for hosting a show in November, I would also get a free turkey.

At first, I thought that was pretty cool, and then I got to thinking.  I don't have what I need to bake a turkey, and it's just me and my husband.  My family and his family live here in town too, but I know his mom already has what she needs.  My mom liked the idea of me bringing the turkey, but again, I only have cookie sheets.  I don't have a roaster or anything.  So maybe I should pass it on to someone who might have a better holiday with a free turkey.  It's not a lot, but to someone who has less than I do, maybe it would mean more.

I discussed this with a few people who shall remain nameless, and I was met with a resounding "keep it."  Everyone I talked too said there are plenty of charities out there so I should keep it and feed my family.  At first I was really hurt.  "Am I not seeing the real picture here?"  Then I thought on it more and decided that I am seeing plenty clearly.  Without people like me, those charities would not exist.  I still want to do something nice.  So even if my mom is expecting me to provide the turkey (she doesn't know about me wanting to give it away) I can still get a turkey for my family, and give one to someone else.

I want to be some of the light in this dark world.  It's a tall order for many of us, but if I make someone's day better, then I am doing a good job.

So on that note, do any of you know of any local charities in Colorado Springs that could use something?  Not just for the holidays, but maybe even year round?  Maybe even national (I'm just not shipping a turkey)?  I saw that the local Panera will take donated turkeys during the 18th through the 25th at least.

Love and light,

Chess

No comments:

Post a Comment